2.15.2005

Not The Bar On Dubuque St.

Anyone else a fan of HBO's Deadwood? The most recent New Yorker (the double anniversary issue) has a fascinating profile of its creator, David Milch. (He also co-created and, during its brilliant early years, was the head writer of NYPD Blue.) More to the point, he's a Workshop alum and in the New Yorker profile has many interesting things to say about writing in general, not just for television. Worth checking out, even if you don't like or haven't seen Deadwood.

5 comments:

SER said...

I haven't seen Deadwood, but I hear it's excellent. I would add it to my TV-viewing schedule, but it's already sort of embarrassingly packed (24, the OC, Arrested Development, Lost, and, yes, Desperate Housewives).

PS: The Deadwood in the IC is on Dubuque Street - oh, how quickly the Iowa refugees forget their homeland! I report that it appears to be as emphysema-inducing as ever.

ian said...

Thanks for the correction, SER! I blame anything I might have consumed at the Deadwood for the memory lapse.

Grendel said...

I don't have cable, so I've been awaiting the DVD release. Season 1 just came out last week.

dunkeys said...

SER's tv lineup is disturbingly similar to my own.

I know this isn't directly related to Deadwood, but did anyone watch the last season of Six Feet Under? Is it as terrible as everyone makes it out?

Grendel said...

We just watched the entire season one on DVD. My God what a show. I wouldn't even know where to begin in recommending it. Just watch it to be schooled in the creation of a fictional (okay, fictionalized) community. From its many pleasures, I would have to select the character of Al Swearengen, played with consummate talent by Ian McShane. I have never and I never will hear swear words, especially "cocksucker," pronounced better in my lifetime. As for the engaging New Yorker piece, how great was it that the main thing Milch created in his two-part stint at the workshop was lots and lots of clear-light LSD. "But I got my MFA," he says.