3.14.2005

Went through my old concert tix...

1982
Rush / Rory Gallagher

1983
Molly Hatchet / Blackfoot
AC/DC
Blue Oyster Cult / Aldo Nova

1984
Ozzy Osbourne
Rush
Van Halen
Judas Priest
Sammy Hagar

1985
Deep Purple
Triumph
R.E.M.
INXS

1986
Rush
The Cult / The Divinyls
Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughan (twice)
R.E.M.

1987
Pink Floyd
U2
R.E.M.
Roger Waters
Billy Idol

1988
Sting (twice)

1989
Grateful Dead
Doobie Brothers
Bob Dylan
R.E.M.
The Rolling Stones

1990
Willie Nelson & Family
Farmaid
The Romantics
B-52s
Grateful Dead
Jimmy Buffet
Crosby Stills & Nash
Santana

1991
Neil Young
Sting (twice)
Steve Miller Band
Yes

1992
Eric Clapton
Allman Bros. Band
Rush
U2
Beastie Boys / Rollins Band

1993
Danzig
Grateful Dead
They Might be Giants

1994
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones

1995
Phish
R.E.M.

1996
Tom Petty
Emmylou Harris
Morphine
The Cure
Kiss
Phish (twice)
Black Crowes

1997
Marilyn Manson
Beck
John Mellencamp
Bob Dylan
Emmylou Harris
Counting Crows
Lyle Lovett
Phish
Ben Folds Five
Yes

1998
Jazz Mandolin Project
Leftover Salmon
Bela Fleck (twice)
Phish
Bob Dylan
Journey

1999
David Grisman
Trey Anastasio
Widespread Panic
Phish (twice)
Alanis Morrisette / Tori Amos
Bob Dylan / Paul Simon

2000
Jazz Mandolin Project
Bela Fleck / Jr. Brown
Bob Dylan / Phil Lesh
Lyle Lovett
Kiss
Bob Dylan
Barenaked Ladies
Medeski Martin & Wood
Trey Anastasio

2001
Steve Earle
Pantera
David Gray
U2
Eric Clapton
Paul Simon
Five For Fighting
John Mellencamp
Nickel Creek
Bob Dylan

7 comments:

Grendel said...

What kills me is, depending on which month AC/DC played, you could have been 14 years old. What were you doing at an AC/DC concert?! Don't answer that.

Grendel said...

Fourteen hours after your post, which was the first time I have encountered the words "Molly Hatchet" in perhaps 15 years, their lead singer is dead.

gwarbot said...

Yes, the great Danny Joe Brown, poor bastard. I downloaded about 4 Hatchet tunes from iTunes -- those are some fucking great goddamm fucking guitar solos!

Pete said...

Well, he lived a good life. I'd trade places with him in a heartbeat.

This seems like a good place to ask the question: what do you guys think of ELO? Sometimes they really blow, but then again, "MaMa Bell" is perhaps one of ten songs in the history of rock that use a string section and still rocks. And every asshole likes that volkswagon song, "Mr. Blue Sky."

I guess they have every right to be both great and horrible. But I just can't summon the patience to wade through their albums; every single one is spotty and occasionally annoying. If every Clash album were like "Sandinista" who would like the Clash? They'd be just like ELO.

Grendel said...

I remember annoying my grandmother with ELO in the early 80s. We were in a local store that sold a bit of everything. I was eyeing the records. She said she'd buy me one. So I picked out that double album of theirs with the jukebox/flying saucer dealie on the cover. When it rang up at $14 instead of $7, she said, "Hey, kiddo! You sure know how to pick 'em!" When I got it home the record itself began to annoy me. It's that sound, the kind of synchronized string theory orchestration that got right on my nerves. And stayed there through much of "Grease" and The Traveling Wilburys. If somebody had long ago taken Jeff Lynne's violins and broken them all over their knee, and handed him back the pieces, rock and roll would be about 0.1% better overall, I think.

Grendel said...

I meant "Xanadu," not "Grease." I mix those up, as the records are next to each other on my shelf, and Olivia Newton John was involved in both.

Hey gwarbot: You've seen more concerts than anyone I know, except Jim Noble. Which was the best one?

gwarbot said...

I'll honestly never forget the first Trey Anastasio trio in 1999. He was at the peak of his more intelligent jamming, with an electric bassist who sat on a stool cause he was so big, and a drummer who sickened all with his monsterism. We were sweaty and on our feet and laughing the entire show... I think of older shows more in terms of "life stages" and moods. I mean, there was nothing like the 5 minutes leading up to Rush hitting the stage when we were in high school. Nothing will ever feel that way again. Then came the adolescent grit of 80s heavy metal -- more concerned with driving my drunk friends home in our van... Memories of music end up being about the feelings, rather than the tunes.