1.19.2005

Guided By Voices, RSVP

As the dorkmeisters among us are sadly aware, the late, great GBV has called it quits. I thought this horrible fact deserved a posting, considering I spent several happy hours rubbing against the sweaty, beer-covered bodies of Brando, Grendel, Ben Doyle, Iceberger/BomberCrasher, the Two Joshs, Marlowe, Lump, etc., etc. enjoying the lo fi-hits and phazed cookies of America's premier band of the cursed, the lost, and the drunk.

And, in all seriousness, when I wasn't sure if the Poops and Lump were going to make it out of the hospital, these guys (and five pitchers of beer) literally saved my life.

GBV, R.I.P.

http://pitchforkmedia.com/features/weekly/05-01-17-guidedbyvoices.shtml

3 comments:

Brando said...

Yes, El Gordo and I caught GbV twice at Gabe's "A Little Dirty for an" Oasis. The second time -- summer 2004 -- they were extremely drunk and sloppy. But I was also drunk and sloppy myself, which allowed me to achieve a perfect harmonic convergence with Robert Pollard. It was also the closest I've ever gotten to An Artist I Worship, as I was right in the front. It was also The Closest I've Ever Come to Losing My Hearing, as I was also right next to the stage right monitor. My ears rang for three days. But if the last thing I ever heard was the sweet notes of a perfect two-minute pop song...well, I'd consider it the aural equivelent of dying during sex.

Grendel said...

It was also the first time I ever saw a man (El Gordo) say he was going to get a beer, come back with a full pitcher, nod to me, and start drinking from it.

TLB said...

I am a scientist - I seek to understand me
All of my impurities and evils yet unknown
I am a journalist - I write to you to show you
I am an incurable
And nothing else behaves like me