1.20.2005

I'm in favor of expanding access to dental care, but I don't want to hear the lecture

One of the things that bothers me about the University of Iowa is the lack of open-to-the-public lectures on topics in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. I mean, we get a great series of literary readings thanks to the Workshop and Prairie Lights, but virtually nothing from other fields I find interesting.

Today's lectures from the UI master calendar are typical fare:

A Patient's Jouney through Hypertension, Kidney Failure, and Transplant

Regulation of TrkA Signaling by PP2A

Access to Dental Care for Iowa's Children

Issues for Incarcerated Females and the Dispairty of Incarceration for African Americans

Now admittedly, that last one could be great if the title stopped after the first four words and if it included a screening of Chained Heat. But I guarantee that ain't the case.

I want some lectures that don't require me to have a Ph.D. in electrical engineering or a box of No-Doz before I walk in the door. Here's a sampling. These are all taken from the current UCLA website:

The Village that Wouldn't Confess: Ossaia, 1468

Agrarian Sovereignty vs. Coastal Economy: The Puzzle of the Wenzhou Model

UCLA Architecture and Urban Design presents Quarterly Lecture Series

What Is the Future for Democrats and Liberals?

Now those are somewhat more interesting topics. (OK, maybe I'm just a different kind of geek.) But whom do I talk to to get some interesting lectures going?

1 comment:

Grendel said...

You're right. I think you should start by modifying (shortening) this post and sending it off to the Press-Citizen and/or Daily Iowan. Don't laugh -- how many times have you picked up the DI on campus when you had a minute or two with nothing else handy?

In the meantime, don't miss Amit Saraf's "Regulation of Tyrosine Hydroxylase by Protein Phosphatase 2A" next Thursday.